Eyeballs everywhere

Friday, October 5, 2007



Some of you might remember my photos of the tomato plants in my backyard. We they have now been taken over by these interesting looking creatures. They are called Hornworms and feed off tomato plants. It is amazing how fast they eat. They were able to strip off all the leaves on the top half of a 5 foot tall tomato plant in a day!

I have to admit I have been fascinated watching them in action. I think the color is amazing and the fact that it looks like it has eyeballs running down its side it pretty cool!

Make sure you click on the pic to see a larger version!

8 comments:

photowannabe said...

Creepy....fascinating but creepy.

Mrs. Me said...

I think you should name him Freddy and keep him as a pet and feed him leaves from your tomato plant to keep him happy.

I noticed you caught a beautiful shot of the caterpillar compost deposit in the first picture.

Kerri Farley said...

Wow! It really does look like it has eyeballs everywhere!

Scarlet said...

That is an unbelievable shot. It's definitely more impressionable when enlarged. Wow!

Shammickite said...

No... not really eyballs.... are they???

Max-e said...

I take it you are not going to get any tomatoes this season?

AVCr8teur said...

I've never seen that creature before. Truly amazing shot. Do you hear crunching noises?

Oswegan said...

That's making me hungry!

~Oswegan
http://oswegan.blogspot.com